Friday, June 6, 2008

My Grandfather-Elkanah "Cain" Richards Clark

Elkanah "Cain" Richards Clark 1875-1933


My grandfather, Elkanah "Cain" Richards Clark was named for his mother's father, Elcana Richards. Papa Cain, as my brother called him, was born November 3, 1875 in Timberville, Wabash County, Illinois. Timberville is no longer there but was near Allendale where my mother was born and grew up. Cain died April 24, 1933 in Grayville, White County, Illinois. His occupation was driving a gasoline truck. He was killed instantly when his truck was hit by a train at a crossing. Since he died 5 years before I was born, I never knew him. He married my grandmother Clara Ethel Morgan, on either June 3, 1902 or June 3, 1903. Their marriage license says 1903 but my grandmother always said 1902--so who knows.

Cain Clark

My uncle, Clifton Calvin, was born January 12, 1904.Clifton died January 2, 1957 by falling down a flight of stairs and breaking his neck. Next was my mother, Opal (no middle name) who was born August 30, 1907. She died June 7, 1953 in a car accident. Third was Bernard Orville born August 25, 1909. He died July 14, 1910. I was told he pulled a pan of boiling water off of the stove and he was scalded to death. My aunt, Garnet Maxine, was born November 11, 1911. They were all born in or near Allendale, Wabash County, Illinois. As you can imagine, from all of the tragic deaths in this family, I often wondered if I would live beyond my 40's or 50's.

Cain Clark

My grandfather was the son of Robert H. (Hugh?) Clark and Susan Richards. Cain was one of 7 children. There were two sets of twins who died in infancy. (geez, yet more sadness!) Anyway, my grandfather's brothers were James Byron "Bye" Clark born February 17, 1873 in Shelby County, Illinois and Charles C. Clark born August 22, 1879 in Fort Worth, Cook County, Texas.

Obituary of Elkanah Richards Clark

I always felt left out when I was growing up. My friends all had grandparents and I never knew either one of my grandfathers and only one of my grandmothers. My dad's mother died in 1919 and his father died in 1940 when I was 2. Luckily I did have my mother's mother until I was 22. Unfortunately, I didn't ask her all that I should have. I wish, now, that I had asked my parents more about their parents and my grandmother about her parents. That is a lesson to be heeded. If your parents or grandparents are still living--talk to them about what they know or remember about their parents or grandparents. Write it down--especially dates and places. If you don't, there will come a day when you kick yourself for not doing so. Trust me!!


My grandfather Elkanah Richards Clark, my Aunt Garnet Maxine Clark, my mother Opal Clark, and my grandmother Clara Ethel Morgan.

No comments: