Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Dad's Mom-Amanda Jane Sayers

Boy, I didn't realize how hard it would be to keep up with two blogs. It's been awhile since I posted (except for Wordless Wednesday) about some genealogy stuff. So, back to my family.

My dad's mom was Amanda Jane Sayers. She was born December 16, 1856 in Marshall County, West Virginia (actually Virginia at the time.) She married my grandfather, Edwin Amos Brooks on April 12, 1877 in Ritchie County, West Virginia. She died November 21, 1919 in Clarksburg, Harrison County, West Virginia. Her death certificate states that she died from TB. I had heard that she was in and out of mental institutions much of her married life and did in fact find her listed as a patient at the W.Va. Hospital for the Insane in Lewis County, W.Va. in the 1910 census. It was my understanding that she would come home long enough to get pregnant and have a child then would head back to the institution. Now, I'm not sure if this is right or not but she did have 10 children in 22 years.

Amanda Jane was the daughter of William Sayers, Sr. and Elizabeth D. Pearce. William was born about 1814 in Pennsylvania and died between 1880 and 1890 probably in Wirt County, West Virginia. He supposedly was killed by a falling tree. I have never been able to find a death certificate or tombstone for him. According to the 1880 census, both of his parents were born in Ireland. This is where I hit a brick wall as far as tracing this family. I have found various spellings of the name-Sires, Syers, Sayer, etc. I would LOVE to be able to find any of his siblings or his parents.

William married Elizabeth D. Pearce about 1854 in West Virginia. I have found no marriage certificate for them. Elizabeth D. was the daughter of Isaac and Mary (unknown last name) Pearce. Elizabeth was born December 1831 probably in Monroe County, Ohio and died April 1903 in Ritchie County, West Virginia. Elizabeth had 3 siblings-Rachel J. born about 1823 married and divorced Presley J. Martin, John F. Pearce born about 1825 married Louisa Moffitt, and Isaac born about 1825 married Nancy (last name unknown). They all lived in Monroe County, Ohio.

Isaac Pearce, Sr. was born about 1790 in Delaware and died April 29, 1861 in Monroe County, Ohio. His wife, Mary, was born about 1796 in Pennsylvania and died January 15, 1846 in Monroe County. Isaac married #2 Lydia Agin in Monroe County.

Back to Amanda Jane and her sibs.
#1. She had a sister, Mary, born April 14, 1855 and died December 28, 1855 in Marshall County, West Virginia.
#2. Amanda Jane
#3. William Winfield born August 14, 1859 in Marshall County and died January 20, 1928 in Ritchie County, W.Va. He married Ursula Haney and had 6 children, Cora D., Mary Elizabeth, Rosa, William Arthur, Bessie and James F.
#4. Isaac Newton (Pearce?) Sayers born January 1861 in W.Va and died January 3, 1930 in Wood County, W.Va. He was unmarried.
#5. Charles H. Sayers born July 1864 in West Virginia and died after 1930. Probably unmarried.
#6. Child. In 1900 Elizabeth stated that 4 of 6 children were living. This means that there was a 6th child somewhere along the line.

This is all I have on the Sayers and Pearces. No pictures, not much information. It is making me crazy!! I sure would appreciate ANY help on this family.

No comments: